In addition to the weekly Community Sessions, NBW is providing weekly a more rigorous session for our regulars on the basis of the substantial learning they have already attained. This free session at The Spike community centre, Guildford on Sundays 10-11.00 hrs runs concurrently with the Guildford Community Session, in a separate room.
In the Silent Session there is no verbalised guidance, participants sit in stillness and silence for 50 minutes, followed by 5 minutes of silent standing meditation.
It is intended for those who meet these criteria:
- have taken the Newcomers' & Beginners' Class, and
- attended the Community Session regularly for at least one year, and
- have attended about 20 Dharma talks, and
- understand right mindfulness, speech, action and livelihood in the Buddhist tradition, and
- most importantly, have been seriously practising them, and
- now feel a need to go deeper into existential questions to enhance their practice
- are able to sit for 45 minutes unbroken, in silence (without meditation guidance)
Generally speaking, this is not suitable for Beginners or for those who drop in at the Community Session infrequently. Of course, one is very welcome to continue 'dropping in' for attendance in the Community Sessions (Woking and Guildford) as long as one likes, even if one meets all the above Silent Session criteria. Indeed, this is what the majority do.
In the Silent Session there will sometimes be a separate Dharma talk which will go deeper into Right Understandng and Right Intention.